Pool days, popsicles, and plenty of sunshine—that’s what summer is all about. There’s fun all around and free time for you and your family to spend with one another. But all that warm weather means you should be prepared to pay higher energy bills May through August. How can you enjoy your summer without worrying about the number on the thermostat? In this article, we’re offering you some great tips and secrets to save money AND enjoy the sunshine. Trahan’s Heating & Air Conditioning is ready to help with all your cooling needs this summer.
Summer savings tips from Trahan’s
Here are 7 tips that can save you big this summer—or during any hot season of the year!
- Schedule an AC tune-up or repair: Instead of waiting for your AC unit to die, be a proactive homeowner and schedule a tune-up with Trahan’s! We can inspect your air conditioner and make sure it’s running at full power, bringing you the most in cool comfort. When you put off a tune-up or repair, you’re actually adding more potential problems to your plate. One appointment with our technician is all it takes to get your AC unit ready for the long, hot summer ahead.
- Monitor your thermostat: Don’t just set your thermostat to 65 degrees and call it good. You’ll face sky-high energy bills and regret it down the road—especially when you open that electric bill! Set a schedule for your indoor temperature and stick to it. For example, set your thermostat to a higher temperature (76-78) during the early-morning and late-night hours, and set it to a lower temperature (70-74) during the day if you’re spending time indoors. Most of all, plan ahead and don’t forget about your thermostat when you set it to a low temperature.
- Use floor fans: Before you press the down button on your thermostat, bring out a floor fan! While fans don’t actually cool the air in your home, they can make you feel cooler with using the same energy your AC would.
- Focus on light clothing/bedding: During the hot, humid months, wear light clothing and store those thick blankets away for winter. Use only light sheets and blankets on your bed. If you’re wearing a long-sleeved shirt and sleeping with heavy blankets, you’ll feel uncomfortable and you’ll be running to your thermostat more frequently.
- Keep your doors open: Keep all interior doors open to encourage airflow in between rooms. You won’t save hundreds of dollars doing this, but you’ll feel a difference! Try keeping your bedroom door open at night to avoid a hot, stuffy room. Don’t open up your exterior doors, because the hot air will rush in!
- Step outside: Don’t stay inside all day and make your air conditioner work harder than it has to. Take a break by going outside for a trip to the library, museum, mall, or park! Find a local swimming pool and visit often. If you’re traveling on a long summer vacation, make a home-energy plan for your thermostat that will save you money while you’re gone. A programmable thermostat can be a great help in this regard, but a house-sitter can also adjust your thermostat for you.
- Keep a professional team on-hand: You never know what cooling emergencies you’ll face this summer, even if all your home systems seem to be running fine at the start of it. That’s why it’s important to have a trustworthy HVAC team on call and ready-to-go. Trahan’s Heating & Air Conditioning has certified, friendly technicians who know how to diagnose problems quickly and fix air conditioners right!
More energy, more comfort
When you take the time to have your AC unit checked out by one of our techs, you’ll be on the road to saving money! After our tune-up, your system will function better than ever, which means your home will get cool without using extra electricity and putting in all that extra work. This energy efficiency will go a long way. An air conditioner that’s working smoothly means less headaches, fewer appointments, and more money in your pocket.
Work with a reliable cooling services team
At the end of the day, you want to remember your summer for all the fun times you had, not for the high electric bills you had to pay. Take some of these tips and incorporate them into your own home. Teach your family the importance of saving money and saving energy. Invest in a smart thermostat so you can control the indoor temperature even when you’re away from your home. And, most important, call the team at Trahan’s and trust our team with all your home cooling needs.